Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cindy's Corner

My neighbor Cindy has an interesting point of view, a fantastic memory and a terrific way with words.

I asked her to contribute a guest post on the intriguing subject of what being a teenager was like back when she was an American teen in the 70s compared to what it is now.

Here's what Cindy had to say:



Having lived in San Jose since the age of 5, I have seen the city grow until it sprawled out into smaller towns separate unto themselves.  San Jose sits in a basin, surrounded on two of its borders by hillsides leading to small mountain ranges.  The third and fourth stretch to the borders of adjacent towns.  I have seen 4 freeways constructed since I've lived here, as well as a public transportation system beyond imagination in the 1960s.

My story begins a decade later in 1970 which was the year I turned 13.

To me the phrase "teenage experience" begs the question.

Because back then, there wasn't a single universal teenage experience.

As I am sure there isn't today.

Despite this, I will approach this question with a sincere attempt to document the changes that have taken place over the years.

As well as the similarities.

What's Hasn't Changed

One similarity I still observe is the need of a teenager to belong...

To find a group of friends that they feel comfortable and at home with.

To seek out those with the same interests. The same world view or perception of life.  And the same purpose, or lack thereof.

The 4 Paths out of High School

Also then, as now, plans for after high school were already being cemented from that first awkward day of freshman year.

Those who were headed to a four year university would spend much of their time in study.  Concerned about grades, GPAs.  And engaging in service projects.  So they could present themselves as well-rounded college applicants.

Those who wanted to continue education after high school, but had not come away with any "vision" for their future would be advised to attend a junior college and knock out their GED requirements by obtaining an AA degree.

Others would set their sights on a trade school where they could learn the nuts and bolts of a specific profession. Like plumbing or air-conditioning.

And sadly others still would just drop out of the game. As early as the second or third quarters.

All this was as true back then as it is today.

What's different? Who else is wearing the pants for one thing!

In 1970, I was beginning 8th grade and it was the first year the dress code was lifted.

The main impact of this change was that girls were now able to wear pants to school.

We all still wore dresses on the first day of school - just to be sure.

And the idea of pants was so novel, we continued to alternate between the two.

Today, there are dress codes again.

However, these are anti dress-codes -  or anti-affiliation codes if you will.

Clothes that you cannot wear because the symbols on them are anti-social.

And colors such as red or blue that you also cannot wear for the same reason.

As for fashion, the difference in fashion (or lack of thereof) in my generation seems almost humorous in comparison to today.

Clothing in my high school years was fairly eclectic.  Students wore whatever they wanted to school. As long as it was modest.

There was no thought to designer anything.  Unless you were to count The Gap.

Most girls wore their hair long and parted straight down the middle.

Other than trying various products to deep condition my hair, I washed my hair and let it air dry, trimming it myself.

I know today is very different in terms of the "right stores to shop in " and the "right clothing to be inside the bags" when one exits the store.

Not to mention the variety of ways to personalize one's look through piercings, tattoos, hair color and make-up.

High School Campuses Are No Longer Regarded as Safe

This is a really big change.

Today, in addition to parents and teachers, there are off duty policemen patrolling high school campuses.

And despite this, students have died at school.

They've been shot, stabbed or killed on the school grounds itself.

As a high school freshman, if I could have seen 40 years into the future, I would have been shocked that anyone could die on a high school campus.

The world is a much less safer place than when I was growing up.

Besides the pressures, changes and general awkwardness of my transformation from being just a little older than a girl to dancing on the edge of womanhood, I was not aware on a conscious level for sure, that life was fragile.

Technology has changed the way teenagers keep in touch, listen to music, watch videos and more

The most obvious difference in my teenage years and in those of teenagers today are the tremendous advances in technology.

Many of the day-to-day items we used back then did not depend upon battery power or electricity.

We were accustomed to wind-up alarm clocks. Hot water bottles instead of heating pads.  And pre-cordless phones that functioned even if the electricity was out.

Instead of "texting" or instant messaging, we wrote letters.

Instead of the internet, we went to the library.

And if we were with a friend, we planned when we would meet again before parting company. Or agreed to a specific time to call each other.

Technology makes things like that seem quaint.

 But Homecoming and Cheer and Marching Band Still Live On...

Teenagers still attend dances and proms and have a homecoming queen as they did when I went to school.  There are still competitive sports, cheerleaders as well as other young girls, whose role it is to spur their team onto victory.

A competitive marching band remains (I cannot write this without smiling, since that was my niche) and several electives as well.

Naturally, they are geared much more towards technological advancement which is only logical.

In closing, I find that what remains the same for the teenage young person will be the same for the remainder of our stay here on this orb.

I quote Michael W Smith "I am lookin for a reason, tryin to find my place in this world."

No comments: