Saturday, September 24, 2011

How To Become A New Person


How do you become a new person?
You don’t have to.
You are already a new person – I guarantee you.
For proof, all you have to do is turn the pages of the virtual album of your life and take stock of some of the changes that have taken place in the past few years.
I did that and here’s what I discovered about my life…

I’m Green Papaya Salad New
Yep.
A few years ago, I had never eaten Green Papaya Salad.
Then I got to taste Green Papaya Salad at Coriander Thai in Westfield, San Francisco. Now I’m a sworn convert to it.
Recently, I even learned to make it. Here’s a link to the recipe I used. I left out the shrimp and I substituted soy sauce for fish sauce and honey for palm sugar.
What new food or foods have you discovered in the last few years?

I’m Xactly Incent New
Once upon a time I was a copywriter.  I worked at or did copywriting for agencies in Bangalore and Chennai, some of which are listed below. I even ran my own creative shop, Purple Patch, for a while.

Agencies I have worked in or done work for:

Contract Advertising
Everest Advertising
Goldwire
JWT
MAA Bozell
O&M
Rediffusion
Sistas
Take Wing
TNQ Commmunications

America was a new beginning for me.
I found myself in a new career, Commissions Administration, which I pursued through 2 tech companies and one pharmaceutical company.
Then a year ago, I took a leap of faith and made a somewhat daring professional decision.
As a result of this decision, my current position as an Xactly Incent Business Architect for SPI Solutions, is the most exciting yet. You can read about it here.
What exciting new journeys did you embark on in the last few years –professional, vocational or personal?

I’m Full Moon and Rattlesnake New
Until a year ago, meditation was just New Age mumbo jumbo to me.
Then I read a book called How God Changes Your Brain.
Before I knew it, I was meditating on a daily basis.
Was it a case of “when the student is ready, the teacher will appear?”
Meditation changed my thinking.
The old has become new again.
The mundane has become awesome.
Driving or walking down a road on a full moon night, I am awestruck by the big, round, yellow orb in the sky.
The fearsome has become awesome too.
Being confronted by a rattlesnake while walking on a trail recently, my fear quickly gave way to awe.
I’ve concluded meditation is really self-hypnosis.
If it’s so powerful, how much more powerful must hypnosis be?
I think about this all the time.
Sometimes I even entertain the idea of volunteering as a hypnosis research subject.
Who knows – one of these days, I just may pick up the phone and call Dr. David Burns (of Feeling Good fame), Philip Zimbardo and John Boyd at Stanford and get recruited.
Mohammed (as in the BIL) will probably say “Minoo has gone cuckoo!” when he hears this. The allusion to Full Moon might solidify the case. But “being cuckoo” beats “not being cuckoo” any day.
How have you changed in the past few years? Is your attitude different? To what?

And finally, I’m Minoo Jha Actionable Ideas New
A year ago, this blog did not exist. In fact, my online activities were limited to using Google Search and looking up directions on Map Quest.
My writing was limited to terse e-mails like this:  “Your commission statement for May 2010 is ready for review.”
Then one day in late December of 2010, I started blogging.  Soon after, I began posting statuses about my blog posts on Facebook and Twitter.
This blog has brought me more joy and more fulfillment than I could ever have imagined.
I enjoy creating posts and am immersed in what psychologist Mihaly Czikzentmihalyi calls the “flow” when I am writing.
I enjoy publishing guest posts too.
And reading your comments and reactions is a pleasure on its own.
Soon we will have a guest post, actually a series of guest posts from Ajay Sachdev, who in previous posts has immortalized Velupillai Pottu (you can read that here), paid homage to Bertie Wooster (you can read that here) and expressed a loyal fan’s view of the most popular sport in India (you can read that here).
What are the new online activities you have taken up in the last few years? Do you play Scrabble on Merriam Webster online?  Do you regularly post on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest?  Do you check your portfolio on Yahoo Finance?  Do you regularly look at blogs, including mine? Are you thinking about starting a blog, yourself?
Cheers to the ever changing, every growing new me and new you!
Whoop-dee-doo!

P.S. Besides Thai restaurants, Green Papaya Salad is also available at Malaysian restaurants such as Banana Leaf and Layang Layang, and also many Vietnamese restaurants.
P.S. 2:  I discovered Malaysian cuisine thanks to my dear friend Nina who introduced me to Banana Leaf and Layang Layang.  If you go, here’s a must on your order: Roti Prata.
P.S.3: As always, thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this "crouching tigerish" post!

14 comments:

ajay said...

AS usual, great reading Minoo.....brilliant work !

indu balachandran said...

Hi Minoo--you really got that spot on...what a totally engaging piece and thought-trigger that was! I am already thinking of ways I've become 'new'...really liked how you gave links to know more about each unique point you made. Indu

Anonymous said...

Grr!
Aarathi

Minoo Jha said...

Thanks Ajay - looking forward to your guest posts

Minoo Jha said...

Hey Indu Bee - Honored you read this post and enjoyed it. Hope you will come back from time to time. Give my love to everybody in Chennai and in advertising - you may have to jog the memories of those who have forgotten me. Hee! Hee!

Minoo Jha said...

Aarathi - love your comment, i.e. Grr. Was it inspired by my "crouching tiger" comment?

Uday Vijayan said...

As always good to read and easy to relate to!Keep it flowing Minoo!

Anonymous said...

Of course Minoo the Tigress.
The guest post in your blog refreshed my memories about Our Dear Tiger Pataudi playing cricket against West Indies in Chinnaswamy Stadium.Thank you Minoo..
Tell me now why you called your post crounching tigerish?
Aarathi.

Minoo Jha said...

Thanks, Uday and please give my very best to Nithya

Minoo Jha said...

I was waiting for someone to ask "why crouching tigerish?". It's because I thought the subheads in my post such as "Full Moon Rattlesnake New" sound like martial arts movie titles, example: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I am glad you enjoyed Ajay's post on cricket. What is Tiger Pataudi up to these days?

Anonymous said...

Minoo,
MAK (Tiger) Pataudi left us for his heavenly abode on 23/09/'11
I happened to read the post about cricket in your blog the same day...
..I like to share with you what
Dileep Premchandran of ESPN wrote about Pataudi.....
In The Natural, Hobbs is told: "We have two lives, Roy, the life we learn with and the life we live with after that. Suffering is what brings us toward happiness." India’s first great captain understood the meaning of that
better than most.
PS: The link you have provided for papaya salad recipe didn't help me much.I did google search and copied the recipe...I may try it one of these days...Thank you!
Aarathi.

Minoo Jha said...

I had no idea Pataudi died. Thanks for passing on what the ESPN commentator had to say about him. I will Wikipedia Pataudi. I am fixing the Papaya Salad link right now. Thanks for letting me know the link is not working

Shalini said...

Love your blog! So thought provoking....& inspiring.

Minoo Jha said...

Hey thanks Shalini, coming from you, an advertising leading light, I am pleased as punch - if you ever want to do a guest post on my blog or have a topic you think I should write about, let me know