Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How To Become More Unique




You don’t have to – you are already unique, I promise you!

How do I know?

Because I am unique too.

Here are some of the unique lists I am not on and other unique lists I am on.

I urge you to seek your uniqueness likewise.

Not On This List
List of Top Advertising Guns in India as named by the Economic Times Brand Equity Reckoner – a list which includes Ravi Deshpande and Minakshi Achan, both of whom I have worked with closely at Contract Advertising and MAA Communications respectively.  

Am On This List
List of people lucky enough to have tasted sushi made by Top Sushi Master Don Gootee.

Not On This List
List of copywriters who have become famous outside of advertising because of books they have written  – a list which includes Anita Saran, an O&M direct marketing whiz and published writer, and Indu Balachandran, a copywriting gal from JWT, also a published writer.
Am On This List
List of people who have become famous outside of advertising for sartorial displays such as sporting a sweater in Chennai, and wearing jeans under a skirt to keep warm in America.  

Not On This List
List of copywriters who have gotten to play Advertising God at international events such as the Cannes Cyber Lions, Clio, One Show and Art Directors Club - a list on which my old copy pal Meera (Miracacks)Sharathchandra,  is consistently to be found.
Am On This List
List of people who discovered God last year after being an atheist for most of my adult life.

Not On This List
List of people who parlayed an advertising career into a successful film-making career – a list which includes former copywriter and pal Sharada Trilok who runs film-making company, Trish Productions with her hubby Trilok.

Am On This List
List of people who parlayed an investment lemon into Toastmasters lemonade, details of which you can read here.

Not On This List
List of people spinning out of the box creative stuff every year at their very own creative hot shop – folks such as Radhika, former copywriting pal and founder of Square Circle in Chennai.

Am On This List
List of people who have done some spinning inside a box of a different kind. You can read about it here.

See – didn’t I tell you I was unique?  I’m sure you are too.  What unique lists are you on and not on - would love to hear. Are you on the list of people who can relate to the Japanese concept of Wabi Sabi? Or perhaps on the list of people which includes Bill Clinton and George H W Bush?  Just some ideas to get you started.

P.S. 1: If this post appears like a clever attempt to drop names, this is not the first time and it probably won’t be the last.  I seem to have a penchant for it. Perhaps you may recall my post What do Lakshmi Mittal and I have in common?

P.S. 2:  Don Gootee, referred to as Top Sushi Master above, is Managing Partner of Solution Partners Inc and I am privileged to be on his team of Xactly Incent Implementation Architects. SPI has 80 Xactly Incent implementations under its belt and if you are looking to switch your commissions to the cloud with Xactly Incent, you should pick up the phone and talk to Don.  You can also contact me and I can tell you more.  I could also help team-lead or help UAT-test your Xactly Implementation Project from the inside – being the bridge between your Commissions Team and the Xactly Implementation Team.  With 5-10 years experience as a Commissions Analyst in various companies and Certified Xactly Incent implementation experience, it might be the solution you are looking for, especially if you have permanently time-crunched Commission Analysts.

P.S. 3: Tanita, you probably want to disown me after the revelation about the trousers under the long skirt.  Yes, it was every bit as bad as the imagination conjures - the ends of the trousers peeping from under the skirt and all.

P.S. 4: And finally, Ravi, if you are reading this, remember it was I who introduced you to Tom Yum soup.

P.S. 5:  As always, thanks for reading and do come back for more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried a t-shirt / top as a saree blouse?I HAVE.Give it a try,you wont regret it!
(My daughter hasn't disowned me.She's relieved of the guilt that she did't use it atleast once!)
Aarathi.

Minoo Jha said...

This t-shirt/top as a saree blouse is a very valuable option and should be recommended to everyone visiting the US, especially in winter when it can get so cold even here in the California Bay Area. Love it!!!!