Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Time Travel: 5 Easily Solved Questions and One Unsolved One






Question 1:
In which tv series, does a woman fall in love with a Qing dynasty painting, travel back in time and fall in love with several princes. The series provoked a backlash from the Chinese censors, leading to Fox News headlines such as China Bans Time Travel”.


Question 2:
In which story does a time-traveler from the 19th century find himself in King Arthur’s court, where he is sentenced to be burned at the stake on June 22, but knowing a solar eclipse will take place on that day, threatens to blot out the sun and is able to escape death. The author is a humorist and even when expressing his political sympathies, comes off like this: “Why, dear me, any kind of royalty, howsoever modified, any kind of aristocracy, howsoever pruned, is rightly an insult; but if you are born and brought up under that sort of arrangement you probably never find it out for yourself, and don't believe it when somebody tells you.”


Question 3:
In which story does a miserly businessman undergo a transformation after traveling to the past, the present and the future in the company of 3 different ghosts? It was Jim Carrey’s first Disney project.


Question 4:
In which story, does a scientist travel 800,000 years into the future in his own time-travelling machine, where he discovers a society which leads him to conclude that intellect and strength are no longer needed for survival. The author, one of the fathers of science fiction, had a dismal view about my former profession and is reported to have said: “Advertising is legalized lying.”


Question 5:
In which story, does a hunter pay to go on a guided safari into the past to kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex, on the promise to his travel guides, he will not veer off the path and cause unintended future consequences. He regretfully veers off the path. The concept of the “The Butterfly Effect” is attributed to this story.


And now for the unsolved question...


Unsolved Question:
What does any of this have to do with “Oh Bangalore!” - a series of upcoming posts by Ajay Sachdev?  

Aha – I’m not telling.  You will have to wait till Saturday to find out.

Mark Your Calendars. 

Oh Bangalore! - a new series of guest posts by Ajay Sachdev begins Saturday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bengaluru is no more called Bangalore.
It is no more a garden city.
Sparrows are almost extint.
Namma Metro is a tourism hotspot ...
do you think this comment serves as a curtain- raiser to Mr.Ajay Sachdev's
upcoming Posts "Oh Bangalore!"?
sollingo Minoo Ammaa!
Aarathi.

Minoo Jha said...

Aarathi, I hereby appoint you Chief Commentator on Ajay's series of posts. There will be 3 in all - one this Saturday, one next Saturday and one the following Saturday.

Also, you are unbeatable when it comes to interesting comments, so I will do a post - probably as I approach the 100th post on this blog (at 88 currently)on your comments.

Finally, I have not forgotten that you want me to do a post on The Whole Earth Catalog. I have been playing around with some ideas on that in my head. Sooner or later the muse will strike.

Looking forward to your comments on Ajay's posts starting tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Thank you Minoo for the compliments.I am really honoured.
I think your response to my comments help me express my opinion better..
in reality I am not like this (naanirodu heegalla)
For example ,I find a few of the posts in your blog beyond my iq, therefore I remain silent at times ... ofcourse other things keep me away from being online-'Currentu'(power supply),like traffic jam in Bengaluru- 'server jam' etc..lol!
Congrats for reaching '88'! And I Wish you Good Luck to complete 1000 and more posts!
It's Saturday 7:40PM here.I'll be back soon & you know why .. ..
Aarathi