Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Element of Making the Attitude Changes Necessary To Our Achievement - or Fulfillment - and Its Hope for Helping Us Prosper

I would like to change my fortune.”

All of us say this at one time or another.

We don’t like where we are.

We want to be in a better place.

But we don’t know how.

Our circumstances overwhelm us.

There are too many constraints, challenges and limitations. How is it even possible?” we think.

Fortune is both elusive and fickle.

It can be hard to attain.

Once attained, it can be lost quickly.

Any change in our personal lives can bring about a change in our fortunes...

A marriage

A birth

A death

A divorce

An illness

Any change in the environment can bring about a change in our fortunes...

A new boss

A merger

A political changing of the guard

An economic downturn

New technologies which make existing manufacturing, business or service practices redundant

Natural calamities

War

Even when we are successful, fortune can play head games with us.

The uncertainty we will be able to hold on to what we have will give us sleepless nights.

Will I always have my job, my house, my car, my savings - we worry.

The future is always a question mark.

The end of the world is just a tax-law change away.

And yet…..in spite of all this, in spite of all the uncertainty that is involved, we have to make our way in the world - it is something we should never shirk from doing.

And it is important we have the right attitudes in place.

Or more importantly, it is important that we do not have the wrong attitudes in place.

Let’s explore some of these attitudes.

Just because you’ve never done it before, or it is different from what you did before, does not mean you can’t do it, or you won’t be good at it.

A mental block may stand between you and an exciting future. Dismantling this mental block - as fast as it is created in your mind - should be your number one priority.  When opportunity knocks, we should answer it.  That is what my friend Ajay did. Ajay was doing fine in his advertising job - when the opportunity arose for him to become a stock-broker.  He could have dismissed it, making any number of excuses. Nah…..I don’t have the personality for that.Why bother with something new?  But he didn’t.  He took the plunge.  He gave up an advertising job with a steady paycheck - and entered the stock-broking business, even though his income would be entirely commission-based. It paid off.  Stock-broking became Ajay's lifetime occupation and he prospered in it. 

Are you thinking about doing something which is different from what you have done before? Don't let excuses hold you back. Just because you’ve never done it before, or it is different from what you did before, does not mean you can’t do it, or you won’t be good at it.

Just because it’s tough and terrifying in the beginning, doesn’t mean it won’t get easier as time passes.

When you are starting out, whatever the job or venture,  there will be a learning curve.  Until you are past this learning curve, your workday will be challenging, maybe even extremely challenging, and the rewards will be slim. After you have learned the ropes, it will get easier and more profitable. Ask me. When I started doing Commissions Administration, it was tough and terrifying in the beginning  - because  I entered the field cold.  By cold, I mean sub zero minus 61.6 degrees Oymyakon, Siberia cold. I did not have a background in finance or accounting. Crazier still, I did not know what the job of a Commissions Analyst involved (which, in hindsight was just as well, perhaps).  Even crazier, I did not know Excel – a fact which, I am sure, would be stunning to every Commissions Analyst.  But guess what – I put one foot in front of the other and, as tough and terrifying as it was in the beginning, Commissions Administration got easier as time went by.  Taking up my first Commissions Analyst job was one of 3 brave career decisions I made.  The first brave career decision was quitting my full time pay-check based advertising copy job to start my advertising creative shop Purple Patch.  The second brave decision was entering the Commissions Administration field, though I did not have the background, skills or experience for it. The third brave decision was becoming a Commissions Consultant in 2010 - giving up a full-time Commissions Analyst job to help companies with their commission accounting needs on a temporary basis. In each of these gigs, it was tough in the beginning, but got easier and more paying as time passed.

Are you thinking about doing something which is different from what you have done before?  Are you afraid that it’s going to be tough and terrifying in the beginning?  Even if it's going to be, you shouldn't let that stop you.  As you gain experience and confidence, it will get easier, and you will never look back.

Just because you are going up against highly experienced people - or people with a head start over you - doesn’t mean you don’t have a chance.

Have you noticed how new social media companies keep popping up?  First there was My Space.  Then there was Facebook.  Then there was You Tube. Then there was LinkedIn. Then there was Instagram. Then there was Blogger. Then there was Twitter.  Then there was Pinterest. Then there was What’s App (forgive me if I am getting the chronology wrong, I am just trying to make a point about how social media has proliferated).

If you have a great idea or valuable skills to offer, you shouldn’t let anything stop you.

Not even, the fact, you are going up against people (or companies) with a head start over you.

Never let ‘the Goliath factor’ make you shrink from your destiny.

The world moves because young, nimble minds are willing to take on established giants - through the application of new energy and new ideas.

I feel trepidation with every new assignment.  I think - what if this company has more experienced and skilled Commissions Analysts than me - and my skills and experience don’t hold up against theirs?

But I go ahead anyway - hoping to bring something to the table.

Indeed, every company I have worked for, has needed a shoulder to the wheel. I immediately put my shoulder to the wheel as best I can - and where I see the need is greatest.  I bring a service attitude and heart – and this serves me well.

Do you have a great idea, or a passion to do something?  Don’t be afraid to go up against more highly experienced people, or people who have a head start over you.  Remember - the world moves - because young, nimble minds like yours are willing to take on the status quo.

Speaking of status quo…

Just because there’s a status quo, doesn’t mean you can’t find your own cadence.

You don’t have to buy into existing ideas of what work means, or how one should work.

You don’t have to get sucked into what everyone else thinks.

You can design your own job and your own workday.

If you are willing, like me, to live simply, you can do temporary gigs (mine is in Commission Consulting) and take breaks in between.

You can have a baby and run a little business on the side.

You can, like Louis Auchincloss, or Louis Begley, have a thriving law career - and write novels in your spare time.

You can, like Tim Ferris, design a four hour work week.

The simpler you are in your wants and needs, the more flexible your work week can be - and the more activities you will be able to accommodate.

It will be easier to accommodate your exercise regimen, your hobbies, your volunteer work, or a pet-project.

I have designed my schedule to accommodate my blog-writing.

Are you yearning to establish your own work cadence?  If you need inspiration, here’s an inspiring example -  My friend Ajay has written - and now published a 300 page novel – Operation Al Nagrib - all while continuing to run his stock-broking business.  You can pursue your secret dreams too – just by setting your own work cadence.

Just because something has become challenging for you, doesn’t mean you have to give it up.

Curve balls are a part of life.

They can come at us suddenly – or be there from day one.

The bigger the curve ball, the bigger is the temptation to live life in a state of dependent hopelessness, or to throw in the towel.

For our own self-esteem and fulfillment, we have to tell ourselves, “I am going to make the best of this.  I am not going to go down without a fight.”

We have to hang in there and keep going.

I am grateful for the role models who provide inspiration in this regard.

I dedicate this post to my two brothers-in-law Jim and Arun, and my cousin Vinita, who by the fullness with which they live their lives, have been a continuous source of inspiration to me.

I also dedicate this post to all of you who are past, present or future victors over the circumstances in your life.

Way to go!

Do play my Judge and Jury game if ever you have a low moment.

Yes, a challenge may be around the corner for us.  But just because something becomes challenging for us, doesn’t mean we have to give it up. I will end with these words - from Gustave Flaubert, the French novelist, and the author of Madame Bovary - which are worth taking a moment to reflect on:The most glorious moments in your life are not the so-called days of success, but rather those days, when out of dejection and despair, you feel rise in you a challenge to life, and the promise of future accomplishments.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day and week….M……a Pearl-Seeker like you.  Thanks to Ajay for his comments on my last post, and thanks to the rest of you for your likes, pins and votes.  Much appreciated!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oymyakon, Siberia. What an apt analogy!Brilliant and deeply insightful, Minoo, that's you! You go quickly , deep down, cutting away layers of resistance,to the heart of the human psyche!To motivate us to greater heights, to reach deep, deep down and produce that one spark which will ignite us to succeed, maximise our potential, to reach the zenith of our capability, and more. It would be relevant here to recall the motto of the SAS - "Who Dares, Wins!"
Another brilliantly researched post, with the right links to your previous inspirational posts!
Keep at it!
Ajay