Sunday, August 22, 2021

Tanita's Tribute To Her Uncle...

 

In Loving Memory of David Lobo

Trying to decide what to write about my uncle David was very hard. He was a man who was loved by everyone around him and managed to impact everyone that he interacted with. There are thousands of words I could say but I thought the best thing for me to do would be to make a list of my fondest memories of him. Here are several things I recall about Uncle David that I never want to forget:

  • When you would rub our feet after walking through Disneyland. Even though they were probably really smelly.
  • Watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and singing along in the car
  • Thinking Hava Nagila was an Indian song because of how much you sang it while playing the guitar
  • The beautiful paintings you gifted us for every occasion
  • Giving me the nickname “Fajita”
  • Walking on your back as children
  • The way you made us toast every night when I slept over
  • Your tandoori chicken (among many other fantastic dishes)
  • Listening to you sing and play guitar at all family occasions
  • The time we went to the hot tub and it was full of bubbles, so we all made bubble beards
  • Eating a blooming onion for the first time with you after my high school graduation
  • When I wanted an octopus but the pet store didn’t sell them, so you bought me an entire aquarium full of fish instead.
  • When you would cook me whatever meal I wanted for lunch before my golf matches
  • The times you dressed up as Santa for Christmas
  • Running up to someone at Great America and giving them a big hug from behind thinking it was you (it wasn’t; I’m still embarrassed to this day)
  • How proud you always were of Jasmin and Jade
  • The photo shoot I had at your house when I was about six years old (we still have all the photos)
  • You driving through a Texas lightning storm to get us some authentic Texas barbeque
  • Going to a hotel in Palm Springs that had a boat running through the lobby
  • The way you loved Bella
  • Seeing Evan Almighty when we were in Arizona
  • Getting In N Out on the way to Disneyland
  • The time we were in a full elevator in Vegas. You somehow pinched my thigh from the other side of the elevator. I turned around and glared at the guy behind me for the whole ride while you laughed in the corner
  • How you and I were the only ones who would go on “Honey I Shrunk The Kids” at Disneyland because everyone else was scared of rats
  • Visiting your Tahoe condo and making candles in Heavenly Village
  • The OOCL calendars you faithfully gifted each of us every year
  • You agreeing to sit in the back of Joseph’s two-door car for a full hour despite how small it is
  • The turtleneck sweater you got my mom for Christmas that I promptly stole from her
  • The way people always thought you were my dad because we had the exact same skin tone
  • Banging pots and pans in the street on New Years Eve
  • The time you showed me where the Mrs. Doubtfire restaurant was
  • Watching you sing in the Sunday church choir
  • When we went to get Chinese food after you had surgery, but you didn’t remember the meal due to the anesthesia and none of us could believe it
  • When you tricked Jasmin and I that your thumb disappeared and we cried because we wanted you to have all of your fingers
  • You introducing me to Jergens body lotion. It is literally the only lotion I will use to this day
  • The way you would pinch my cheeks whenever you saw me, even as an adult
  • The way you brightened every room you walked into
  • The way you found the silver lining in every situation
  • The way you treated me like I was your own daughter

In loving memory of my Uncle David Lobo. May you stay forever young.

No comments: