Saturday, July 23, 2011

Feet Planted

Get carried away by this lyrical piece written by a junior student of Santa Teresa High...

                                 
            Feet Planted
       By Gursharan Summan

I’d like to go to a place where the water tastes sweeter than life itself.
A place where sobriety and intoxication become one, where nonsense is reality, and it seems like it’s only the confusing things that make any kind of sense; where the mountains all howl into the night, producing low brassy notes that send an earthy vibration throughout your whole body, where sound meets touch and together create a unified sensation, and it makes your skin jitter and your body numb, and the notes hit the stars and send them jittering, too, making the stars also numb, and a brassy echo reverberates until it finally fades away and leaves behind a floating and empty sky.
A place where life and death become as apparent as day and night: where the stars aren’t actually stars at all, but just a billion little sperm cells, white tadpoles, stirring and swimming, squirming every which way through that oceanic black void that we call night; where the moon is an egg, waiting to be given its seed, well-deserved, much longed-for,—the moon, the most beautiful yet lonely creature in existence; where the sun is the embryo, a celestial heartbeat, thumping, growing, and evolving within its own little membrane-universe, brightening up the day with the intense luminance of life.
A place where I can sit alongside a river and peacefully observe, with my mouth shut, my thoughts tame, my ears keen and sharp, and my eyes wide open; and I can watch the water stream right on by, and I can hear the faint gurgle of that water, rushing over nearby rocks, and I choose not to get up, but just to sit, because I’m okay.
I’d like to go to a place where everything slows down enough, where timelessness becomes apparent enough, and everything makes sense enough for me to experience the moment and see the thing in itself, to not have to open my mouth, but still say all that was waiting to be said.
P.S. Thank you Gursharan for letting me publish this wonderful piece on my blog. You have a gift for imagery which you should develop on. Looking forward to future pieces such as this.

1 comment:

ajay said...

Beautiful piece, Gursharan. Very vivid..........