Thursday, May 17, 2012

Once Upon A Garden City


Box Set of Fountainhead and Atlast Shrugged available at Amazon for $13.59
It’s where I rode to school on my bicycle for 6 years of my life.

It’s where I lived with my family in a house in a cul-de-sac and played with the Beverias, Alfords and the Matthews.

It’s where my brother and me regularly gate crashed family events at the Marley house.

It’s where I walked my first dog and when he died, my next. (I don't have a pet right now, but you can read about the pets in my extended family here.)

It’s where I went to Koshys on Sundays for appams and ate dosas made by Mrs. Brown which were delivered to us by her son Kevin.

It’s where I learned to play the guitar from my dear friend Jan and whiled away my time composing silly songs.

It’s where I developed my passion for reading with the help of British Council on Residency Road.

It’s where I used to get my hair cut by whiz-with-the-scissors Jacky.

It’s where I would meet the Circe of Bangalore who contributed a guest post on her pets in the early days of my blog.

It’s where I would have a one by two coffee with my classmate Virgie at St. Joseph’s Evening College.

It’s where I took part in the Kevin Oliver directed musical Give a Dog a Bone.

It’s where I entered the Knock-Out disco contest with dancing-two-feet Zubin.

It’s where I began my first career on my 20th birthday, thanks to a few middles in Deccan Herald discovered by a gal called Mela. I began a second career after immigrating and you can read about that here.

It’s where I went to school in a white uniform with a red tie and military style boots.

It’s where I would pop into a photo studio with a gal called Heather and we both would get our pics taken in 4 poses .

It was where I bought my first stock and developed my passion for investing, a passion that would lead to some ups and downs, as well as lesson after lesson after lesson, eventually leading to a philosophy for investing.

It’s where I discovered the philosophy of Ayn Rand and became an avid (or should I say rabid) Randian for several years.

It’s where I was overtaken by a deep desire to go completely vegetarian – and succeeded – for a while.

All this and more is Bangalore to me.

P.S.  What is Bangalore to you? Can you write up a few lines to share with readers. And if you haven't read Ajay's 3 part-series on Bangalore, don't forget to do so here, here and here.

2 comments:

ajay said...

Bangalore sure is a great city......a very readable post from Minoo

Anonymous said...

ahem,
narration is fast and picturesque.
Thank you for the same Minoo.
A/A/A/A