Sunday, March 20, 2016

How To Write 322 Posts


Here are some tips:

1.    Start writing. That’s the first step.   To write Post #2, you have to write Post #1. To write Post #3, you have to write Post #2, which of course, you can only write, after you write Post #1. So it all goes back to writing that first post.  So do it. Write that first post.  That’s Step 1.

I completed Step 1 on December 27 of 2010, when I wrote my first post, 4 Decisions I Wish I Had Made Earlier.

2.    Keep going.  After you write Post #1, write Post #2. After you write Post #2, write Post #3.  The important thing is to keep going.


3.    Write to a schedule.  Write once a day.  Write once a week.  Or write once a month.  By committing to a schedule, you will make writing a habit.  That is what you want to do, if you want to write 322 posts.  Make writing a habit.

I started by writing every other day.  Then I cut back to writing once a week. Since I started the once-a-week schedule, I have been faithfully writing every week (skipping a week or two only occasionally). This is how I got to 322 posts.

4.    Pick a fixed day of the week to publish your posts.  This will force you to work to a deadline.  You know how effective deadlines are, whether it is completing a project at work, or finishing your taxes.  Writing is no different.

My weekly deadline is every Sunday.  I work to finishing and getting a new post out every Sunday.

5.    Let people know about your posts.  You need feedback and encouragement to keep going.  You can get that by letting people know about your posts.  You can use email, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn.

I let people know about my posts through all of these mediums. I post the links to new posts with a thumbnail of the picture on Google, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.  My blog is also listed in my Linkedin profile.

6.    When you get an idea for a post, jot it down.  So you can be ready when the inspiration strikes.  When the inspiration strikes, weeks, months, even years later, you'll be glad you did.

I jotted down the idea for my United States of Friendship series of posts at least two years before I wrote the posts.

7.    Keep an eye out for material to write on.  Books you read, movies you watch, ideas, thoughts and knowledge you want to pass on – anything can become a post.


8.    Read books and articles which can help you in your writing, especially books and articles which can release you from Writer’s Block, and from second-guessing your writing. Becoming a blogger takes courage - we have to be unafraid to see our work, which will sometimes be good, and sometimes not so good, in print.    

I have read and re-read Joseph Sestito’s Write For Your Lives, several times for this reason.

9.    Don’t be afraid to use personal narrative.  Personal narratives are interesting, because we all have such different life experiences.

I have written about many experiences in my life, from conquering a depression, to losing money in the stock market, to transforming from Tiger Mom and Helicopter Mom to Hippy Mom, to telling you why I can never get a job at Google.  And several guest posters have done that too; Ajay Sachdev in A Short Stint in Advertising, Jacinta in Kushboo and A Facebook Faceoff, Anita in A Fresh Perspective on Pets, Cindy in Flying Lessons, and John Paraskevopoulos in The Colors of Life.

10.Write from the heart.  Some forms of writing such as tributes lend themselves wonderfully to writing from the heart.

See my tributes to Steve Jobs and to my Uncle Al for examples.

These are some tips to writing 322 posts.  Hope they inspire you to pick up your pen and pad, and start writing. Guest posters and aspiring guest posters...this is a big hint. I would love to open an email from you, and find a guest post which you have written, and would like to contribute to my blog. Who is going to be the first one to do it? Is it you?

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day and week….M…..a Pearl Seeker like you.  Thanks to Ajay and Rosie for their feedback on my last posts, and thanks to the rest of you for your likes, pins, tweets and shares.  Much Appreciated.

Related posts:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Minoo... your brilliance and sheer positivity have shone through your posts to encourage yr readers to reach the ultimate limits of their potential...the'ye laid out a precise road map for doing so!Keep 'em comin!
Ajay