Sunday, January 17, 2021

I Am A Lonely Sock

 


I am a lonely sock

My partner is lost somewhere

Not sure if they are in a closet drawer

Or in a trash bin somewhere. 

 

Please look for my partner

I have provided a picture for you

Bright pink at cuff, toe, and heel

My partner is super hella cool.

 

My partner has lost some of its threads

This I am embarrassed to say

Our owner didn't bother to mend it, being at the heel

So it saddened me to see my partner's threads become barer each day.

 

Still I loved my partner

And after the first wash, we tied the knot

We didn't say till dryer do us part

But you can bet, we suffered dryer separation anxiety quite a lot.

 

My partner is soft and cozy

Maybe I am partial because we used to be a pair

The other socks here in this drawer say that's nothing special

I listen, but I don't care.

 

In spite of the bare threads, and the other socks joshing and saying "Gosh, darn it"

My partner was special to me

It might have been worse for the wear

But still we were compatible, and I thought my partner pretty dandy.

 

We used to belong to a gal

I know she liked us a lot

She kept us when she got us one Christmas

…Though she received a WD storage device, Brita water filters, and what not.

 

She used us more than all those other things

In fact, she wore us every day to bed

If one of us came off, and got lost in the sheets at night

Not to show off, but it would give her the utmost distress.

 

It made us feel so grand, you should know

The fact that this special place in her life we occupied

Then suddenly, one wash day it ended

And my partner was gone from my side.

 

That fateful day, our owner, distracted

Left my partner in a washing or drying machine

This is how from being a pair, I became a single lonely sock

A dreaded fate I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams.

 

So now I am just a lonely sock

Sitting in a closet drawer

Feeling sorry for myself

…Because this is not what I bargained for.

 

Please if you see my partner

Tell them I will wait for them forever more

And until such time we are reunited

I will sit here being lonely in this closet drawer.

 

Sigh! If I could turn back time!


Dear Reader...this post was inspired by a recent laundry experience, when after my laundry was done, I found there was a bunch of socks missing, leaving the odd socks left unusable.  Later, I found the missing socks tucked into the folds of some washed fitted sheets. By then, this poem was hatched and written. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

No comments: