Thursday, November 24, 2022

Truly Blessed!


I went to school to read and write

I was taught to add, subtract, multiply, and divide right

I learned to memorize subjects, staying up nights

Literature, geography, history, chemistry, biology, algebra, geometry, I had to get them down tight.

Get them down tight.

__


Living under the family roof, we had our troubles, but it was still a comfortable ride

Food, clothing, shelter, people to correct and protect me by my side

But then suddenly I was an adult, and it could not be denied

It was time to think for myself, provide for myself, be my own protector, corrector, and guide

It was a matter of independence, learning to do things on my own, and pride.

A matter of independence, learning to do things on my own, and pride.

__


Becoming a working and earning person, I suddenly found I could buy

So many different things to make me feel happy, proud, important, or high

Foods, drinks, smokes, pills, clothes, gadgets, trinkets, vacations, all sorts of things to try

And in trying all sorts of things, I soon realized

Some things were enjoyable in the moment, only to later make you regret and cry.

Enjoyable in the moment, only to later make you regret and cry.

__


When it came to religion, being Christian, I went to Sunday mass, and learned to pray

To listen to sermons, say the rosary, observe Christmas and Easter, try not to go astray

But the sadness and evil in the world overwhelmed me, and so I decided one day 

I would become a good person without letting God get in the way.

Without letting God get in the way.

__


And thus went my life, and it was not a straight line

I went this way and that, depending on how I was inclined

Accepting, rejecting, reaccepting, having to make sense of so many things over time

And now after a lifetime of lessons, my health, my lifestyle, my peace of mind, my memories, my relationships, and my reawakened spirituality, tell me I’m doing just fine.

I’m doing just fine.

__


Yes, family, teachers, church, friends, books, well-meaning friends, and advisors did their best

Then life took over, and did the rest

It opened doors, closed doors, dropped a ton of bricks on me, gave me important lessons and tests

And brought me to where I am today, in spite of challenges, heart-breaking losses, and missteps

Finding peace and a quiet contentment, with my current health, relationships, lifestyle, and a spiritual renaissance, for which I feel truly blessed.

Truly blessed.

__

Dear readers, thank you for being a part of my life, the construction of which has been going on for over a lifetime - with continuous renovations and restorations, as I learn from every experience, however joyous or devastating. As I learn from every relationship, however broken or whole. As I learn from every interaction, however expected or unexpected, however pleasing or upsetting.  Bless you all this Thanksgiving weekend!

No comments: