Saturday, April 16, 2011

It’s Why You Want That Louis Vuitton Bag


Photo Courtesy: Tanita Jha
And your 13 year old drags you to Juicy Couture.

Why boys feel like men in Ed Hardy jackets.

And girls feel like princesses in Jessica McClintock dresses.

It's why an uncomfortable pair of Manolo Blahniks is better than a comfy pair of any other shoes.

And a gift that comes in a little blue box, is more than just a gift.

It’s why people who complain about their Infinities will still go and buy another Infinity.

And why, even if cell phones tell the time quite nicely, Wall Street traders like to sport $6000 Rolex Submariners.

A-D-V-E-R-T-I-S-I-N-G.

It's how the desire for life's most coveted possessions and consumptions (and least coveted as well - like Preparation-H)  gets dreamed up. Created.  And perpetuated.

And for the longest time (up until I made America my home) I was part of that dream-making machine.

To say that advertising was a big part of my Indian adult life would be an understatement.

From the day I turned 20 (interestingly my first day in advertising as a copy cub was my 20th birthday) till I boarded that Singapore Airlines flight to Heathrow and on to San Francisco, green card in hand, advertising was my life.

(Seriously, and this is for my American friends, if you asked any of the art directors I worked with to create a visual image of my life, they'd probably draw two book-ends with stacks of Communication Arts and Art Director's Annuals in between, and some furious thought bubbles layered over.)

In light of this revelation, it may seem a surprising omission to some that I have not given advertising any blog time, whatsoever.

Well, I am about to remedy that.

Um, actually, previous guest-poster Ajay has graciously agreed to do the honors.

A Short Stint in Advertising

While I dust the cobwebs off of my advertising memories, Ajay, who previously guest-posted on P G Wodehouse in "Splendid Post, What!", has volunteered to share his memories of his advertising days with us.

Via an upcoming guest post called “A Short Stint in Advertising”.

Get Ready, MAA Communications Alumni

Ajay worked with me in an advertising agency called MAA Communications.

As did readers Nitya, Uday, Patty, Anita, Meera, Audrey, Mira, and many others.

Ajay's post, which will be published Wednesday, is for all of them.

As well as for anyone else who shared those MAA days with us.

In fact, anyone who is wistful about their advertising days, whether they were at MAA, Contract, HTA, O&M, Sistas, Everest, or any of the other advertising agencies between which some of us continuously crossed floors.

Having said that, I do need to keep my fingers crossed.

Because you never know what else might compete for the well-meaning reader's attention that day.

A half-off  sale on Manolo Blahniks at Nordstrom, for instance?

Mark Your Calendars. Coming this Wednesday - A Short Stint in Advertising by Ajay Sachdev. All about our MAA Communications days.

P.S. Here's a little bit of Americana for you.  Or (ImmigrantKhana, if you will).  The green card is officially called an Alien Registration Card.  And it is not green.

No comments: