Monday, July 6, 2020

Come Home NOW!


Where did you go without me?
Don't you know I miss your face?
What's a tail but to wag?
But you've disappeared without a trace.
I sniff at the space at the bottom of the door.
Trying to find your smell.
Finding nothing, I get on all fours
But there's nothing as far as I can tell.
Nose having failed, it's time to bark.
To bring you back where you belong
Bark, bark, when that doesn't work...
I start to feel forlorn.
I let out a complaining whine
Turn around, come back home.
I'm miserable without you, can't you see?
Hopeless on my own.
Whine, whine, don't you hear me?
I just don't understand.
How you could leave me
Now or at any time.
When you've given me so many signs...
you love me!
All that petting and rough-housing,
And playing catch
Letting me lick your face
Your fingers ever ready to give me a tummy scratch.
Bark, bark, you could have taken me with you.
It's what you should have done
We could have gone to the park.
Or I could have sat beside you in the car.
We could have taken it for a spin and had so much fun.
In the car, on the road
Doesn't matter where.
We belong together.
We are a life-long pair.
Sniff, sniff.
Bark bark.
Nothing seems to work.
I let out a big sigh.
And position myself at the door ready for your return.

P.S. This post was inspired by hearing a puppy whine for its owner next door.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heart tugging, Minoo! A lovely poem, And so incisively analysed...