Sunday, October 7, 2018

How To Live A Good Life - Part 12

Focus on making progress.
Don't stress about perfection.

I am a Commissions Consultant.

This year I consulted for 3 different companies.

Today, I have a question for all you Commissions Analysts - intern, jr., analyst, sr, principal.

What is the best way for you to come up to speed when you start a new Commissions Analyst job?

I will share with you what has worked for me.

You need a 3-step prepared process for information gathering.

1.           Ask the person you report to for the following:

·      FRD - Functional Requirements Document
·      Naming Conventions Document
·      Solution Design Document
·      Operations Guide

2.           Do not delay in asking the  questions which you need answered in order for you to perform your job. You should create a pre-prepared questionnaire (as I do) with as many questions as you can think of, questions such as:

·      What is the company's calendar
·      How many sales people and how many plans
·      What are the metrics on which commissions are paid on
·      How does the commissions team get information about new hires, terms, LOAs, increases in target incentive, annual raises
·      How often are commissions paid out and in how many currencies
·      What are the payroll dates
·      What are you expected to deliver every month, every quarter, every year -typical is  calculating commissions and handling inquiries, but never assume what you are expected to do

3.           Request you be given access to the key shared commission files, whether these are  on Google Drive, or in a shared folder, as soon as possible.

This 3-step prepared process for information gathering will help you immensely.

Starting a new Commissions Administration job is scary.

In fact, in spite of following my 3 steps, you may make some "innocence" errors.

But you can aim to reduce the possibility of making those "innocence" errors .

How?

By doing as I suggested - becoming as knowledgeable as you can, in the shortest time possible.

One of the areas I am keenly interested in is in helping new commission employees (managers or analysts) avoid "innocence" errors.

On many assignments, my most valuable contribution is to learn and document the commissions processes.

I learn the commission processes, and create  a step by step instructional document for both managers and analysts to use .

Using my commissions process document, new managers and analysts can come up to speed on the processes.

They do not have to be in the dark for long.

My document helps them avoid frustration. My document helps them avoid "innocence" errors.

Not surprisingly, I get compliments and thank yous  for my documents and the value they have provided.

It is satisfying and rewarding to deliver value, so I continue to create commissions process documents for companies, as and when I can, even if it means doing it on my own time.

I am currently excited to be working on an Xactly Incent Operations Guide for a company.

The rest of this blog post will not be about commissions administration, but about how to approach anything you choose to take up.

My advice to you is to focus on progress, not on perfection.

With my time on my current commissions analyst assignment running out, I have to do the best I can in the available time on this Xactly Incent Commissions Operations Guide I have decided to create.

So I will deliver it without crossing every t and dotting every i.

I know it is more important to get it out there, so the team can use it.

Focus on progress, not perfection.

There is no harm in making small incremental changes.

I started working on my document on Friday - which was my day off.

On Friday night, I realized I had missed some things, such as listing "Trigger" in the table of Order Types.

I went ahead and added that to the document yesterday morning.

Then last night, I thought about more things I could add.

So I went ahead and added those to the Xactly Incent Ops Guide this morning.

I felt good about the document on Friday itself.

But I have made several small additional changes since then, and I feel good about these changes.

Progress is more important than perfection.

Progress can lead to significantly improved outcomes.

Let me give you an example.

Say you have an addiction problem, such as a drinking problem.

What if you started drinking one minute later every day?

In 60 days, you would be drinking a whole hour later.

In 120 days, you would be drinking a whole two hours later.

You can see how even a small change, such as drinking one minute later every day can lead to dramatic progress in just 2 months.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.

Instead of focusing on making "the future person we see in the mirror" better than" the current person we see in the mirror", we get overwhelmed by the goal - which is often a perfectionist ideal.

Don't tell yourself, what's the point of exercising or watching what I eat - I am never going to be as thin as a model.

Don't tell yourself, what's the point of trying to kick this addiction - I am never going to succeed.

Ignore the model of perfection.

Focus on progress alone.

Focus on the progress you are making, and only the progress you are making. Don't look over your shoulder at the progress other people are making.

And remember, progress is "doing", not "being".

It is putting one foot in front of the other foot, and keeping on going, even if the scales do not indicate you are getting anywhere, and you haven't started getting positive feedback as of yet.

Just keep going, making progress, making whatever small improvements you can think of.

The earlier you start, the better.

But it's never too late to get started, especially if it gives you a shot at achieving something which is valuable to you - such as a repaired relationship, financial peace of mind, or a renewed belief in yourself.

Related posts :




Seek progress.

Do not seek perfection.

We want the perfect life, the perfect house, the perfect partner, the perfect kids, the perfect car, the perfect friends, the perfect job, the perfect progression of things (where we are king or queen, and everyone else is subordinate, and where we go from strength to strength to strength, and from success to success to success, without any obstacles or setbacks).

Life doesn't work that way.

Better to make the best of every situation, as imperfect as it is.

Better to make the best of who you are, as imperfect as you are.

Admit your imperfections.

Don't put the blame on external circumstances.

To conquer a depression, you have to admit you have a depression.

Related post:


To conquer an anger management problem, you have to admit you have an anger management problem.

Related post:


To conquer an addiction, you have to admit you have an addiction.

You can work on reducing the frustration and insecurities and vulnerabilities of your life, by taking small steps.

By making progress and being happy with your progress.

I may not have gone so far as to be able to completely adopt Dr. Richard Bernstein's diet recommendations, but I am happy with the progress I've made in adopting a low-carb diet.

If you do not want to change anything, and you are comfortable where you are, nothing wrong with that.

But if circumstances arise which suggest  a change is needed, don't ignore those circumstances.

See the writing on the wall, and take steps.

Start by taking small steps.

Don't blame the lack of tools.

If there are constraints, you may have to use your resourcefulness.

If you solve a problem in spite of constraints through your resourcefulness, you will feel a sense of pride.

It is even more satisfying to solve a problem with constraints.

Related post:


If you are not willing to try anything, then you have to ask yourself the question "Am I serious about what I want?"

Related post:


And now I will get back to making progress on my Xactly Incent Operations Guide, which is coming along nicely, if not perfectly.

Good luck and happy thinking about the progress you are making.  Imperfect as that may be.

Acknowledgements:

Thanks for the feedback, (comments, likes, shares) on Part 1 through 11 of this series. I appreciate the kudos from old friends, new friends, and relatives who have become friends. You keep me going.

NEXT, Thanks to all readers, current and future, for sharing my journey to wisdom, meaning, and a better life.  Like you, I am trying to find my way through this complex maze we call life, and I am honored to have you share my journey, as I continue to seek the wisdom hidden in plain sight.

FINALLY, A Happy Birthday shout-out:  to those with October birthdays. I hope you will use your birthday month to mark a turning point in your life, and to start making progress in important neglected areas of your life. Remember, you will not be able to do that, if you are not committed to it, and if you do not apply yourself consistently.

To all my readers, have a blessed “doing good for yourself while doing good for others week, and see you next week.

No comments: