Sunday, November 29, 2020

Countless

 


Countless are the sacrifices

That have been made for me

Both in my current life

And throughout the many years of history.

 

People have fought for my freedom

And people have fought for my rights

Sometimes going to their deaths

Just to make things right.

 

Countless are the thanks

I owe for everything I enjoy

My comforts, my health, my educated mind

Are all the gifts of someone's toil.

 

Parents, teachers, family, children

Friends, bosses, doctors, frontline workers, and more

Everything I have, use, or enjoy today

Has come from the visible and invisible labor, caring, and kindness of scores.

 

Countless are the wheels

Which have turned for me

Both in my current life

And throughout the years of history.

 

Explorers, soldiers, activists,

Government officials, firefighters, and more

It is because of many, many people

That I feel valued, safe, and secure.

 

Countless are the wheels

That still have to turn for some

So we should never give up striving

Until the wheels have turned for everyone.

 

So in this Thanksgiving message

I give not just past and present thanks

But for all the work and countless sacrifices currently being made to make more lives better

My countless future thanks are banked.

No comments: