Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Unsocratic Coffee Quiz




On today, September 29, International Coffee Day, I thought you might like to try your hand at a coffee quiz while sipping from you favorite Cuppa Joe.

Here goes:

Mocha is the name of a…

  • Coffee Bean
  • Town
  • Color
  • Language

Answer: Mocha is a town in Yemen famous for its coffee roots.

The phrase Cuppa Joe is:

  • American
  • British
  • Armenian
  • Australian

Answer: American. Cuppa Joe got its name from US Secretary of the Navy Josephus " Joe “ Daniels, who in 1914, abolished the Officers Wine Mess and substituted coffee on board US Navy Ships.

Of people in different occupations, who needs coffee the most to be productive?

  • Nurses
  • Media people
  • Service Workers
  • Scientists
  • Teachers
  • Business Executives

Answer: Scientists and service workers lead the pack.

Which has the least caffeine, which the most?

  • A 1 oz Starbucks Espresso
  • A 16 oz cup of Dunkin Donuts Brewed Coffee
  • A 16 oz Starbucks Vanilla Latte

Answer:  Least: 1 oz Starbucks Espresso.  Most: 16 oz. Dunkin Donuts Brewed Coffee

“Good To The Last Drop” is a famous ad line for which coffee brand?

  • Folgers
  • Maxwell House
  • Seattle’s Best
  • Gevalia
  • Nescafe

Answer: Maxwell House.  President Theodore Roosevelt is believed to have come up with the line and it has been used in Maxwell House advertising continuously starting 1917, when Maxwell House Coffee was a brand of the Cheek Neal Company of Nashville, Tennessee. Today Maxwell House belongs to Kraft Foods.

International Coffee Day was first held in which country?

  • Japan
  • Costa Rica
  • Colombia
  • America

Answer: Japan. International Coffee Day was first celebrated in 1983 by the Japan All Coffee Association

“Drink Hot Coffee
Drink Hot Tea
Burn Your Lips
And Think of Me” is remembered by me from what?

  • A song
  • A movie
  • A children's story
  • An elementary school autograph book

Answer: An elementary school autograph book.

Hope you enjoyed this coffee quiz.

Happy International Coffee Day to all of you and I hope you treat yourself to a great cup of coffee today to mark the occasion.

Intrigued as to why I called this coffee quiz Unsocratic?

That's because Socrates would never have approved of multiple choice questions.

Socrates, if he had wanted to find out about your thoughts and habits as it related to coffee, would have asked you questions like this:

When did you start drinking coffee?

What did you like about it?

Are there particular times of day or particular circumstances in which you need a cup of coffee?

What are your thoughts about coffee vs tea?

What are your thoughts about coffee and your health?

Do you like drinking coffee alone or with other people?

Based on your answer to each question, Socrates would have asked you a further set of questions. 

A great way to find out why people do what they do and think the way they think, don't you think?

The Socratic Method is very useful in developing critical thinking.

I have also found it to be immensely helpful to me in my blogging.

By the way, if you liked this quiz, you may also like to take a shot at the “time-pass” suggestions (Indian urban slang for passing the time) listed in my post 5 Things To Do If You are Bored.

Also, do you know what your Starbucks drink says about you? What better day than International Coffee Day to check it out.

P.S. Socrates is mentioned in my post 5 Things To Do To Be a Rebel and readers may remember another great Greek historical figure from my post The Man in the Bath-tub.

P.S. 2:  What lines do you remember from your elementary school autograph book? I'd love to hear. Also, for a great selection of Disney autograph books, check out this link on Ebay.

P.S. 3: As of yesterday, when I finished my Dublin assignment, I became the proud owner of a Starbucks Cup like the one you see in the picture above. Thanks Helen for the same. It was a blast working together.

P.S.4:  As always thanks for reading and do visit again. Don't forget to think of me when you are sipping your Cuppa Joe or Chai, especially on Saturdays and Sundays which are the days on which I typically publish my posts.

7 comments:

Ajay said...

Most interesting post, Minoo, and very readable as always.

Anonymous said...

A lovely 'mug' and a Nice post Minoo!

I (A/A/A/A) take this oppurtunity to 'reuse' the words my friends wrote in my autograph book.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
And so are you!

and

F
F M N = Forget Me Not!
N


A/A/A/A

Anonymous said...

PS:
FMN should come like a '+'..I tried my best to recreate it here...but:(

Minoo Jha said...

I do remember "Roses are red Violets are blue". Here's another classic: "North, South, East, West
Friendship is the best" It's good to reminisce about those days.

Minoo Jha said...

Glad you enjoyed the post Bertie.....Anand Puranik commented to me on Facebook that Socrates sounds like a market researcher.

Anonymous said...

I thought the following link won't be out of place here.So...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0yjQEvHYPgA&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CSh6GbbHjtO1Z7NgoklbXb

Aarathi.

Minoo Jha said...

I am intrigued by your link, Aarathi, especially coming from you. You never fail to be interesting. I will check it out and get back to you