Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Element of Release from Inhibition and Its Hope for Discovering Our Creative Self





Someone commented to me the other day (you know who you are), “Minoo, I wish I could write a blog”.

My answer to that is if you can write a letter, you can write a blog.

Unlike advertising or journalism, where you may need to pass a copy test, or a writing test of some kind, you can start a blog at any time.

There are no gatekeepers.

There are no judges.

Best of all, there are no repercussions.

So few eyeballs hit unknown blogs, or blogs known in a limited circle (such as mine), you can safely experiment.

Because of the limited eyeballs, messing up is not a big deal.

Don’t like anything you have written - a particular sentence or phrase?

You can delete or change the offending sentence or phrase and hit Update.

The update button means you never have to wallow in writer’s remorse.

You can use it and nobody will know any different.

Those who have read the post are not likely to read it again, and so won't know anything has changed; those yet to read your post will see the new preferred version.

Grammatical boo-boos, spelling boo-boos, factual errors, faux pas (I’ve had a good share of all these – I will tell you about them sometime) – you can correct them all with the Update button.

And if you hate a post, you can delete it altogether. Good to know – in case you ever need that.

Blogging is safe that way.

Of course, the reason you may be hesitant to start a blog is because of your ego.

You are afraid of being laughed at, ridiculed, pooh poohed. 

You are afraid of being silly or boring or pedantic or clumsy or pointless. 

I am afraid of that too, and as my post The Element of Uniqueness and Its Hope for Different Perspectives says, I have to take a deep breath just before I hit the publish button each time I post.

But I go ahead and do it anyway.

If your ego is rearing its head, and you heart is pounding just at the thought of putting something out in print and putting yourself at risk, I know the feeling well.

It’s frightening to put oneself out there - without gatekeeper insurance.

Gatekeeper insurance -what’s that?

Gatekeeper insurance is having someone - an agent, an editor, a publisher, a knowledgeable friend - bless your work.

We think if we write something, it is safe for consumption, only if blessed by one of these people.  If no one has seen it and blessed it, it’s risky.

Who knows how junky it is – if no one has ever read it yet?

Pssh I say.

Unnecessary second guessing! We don’t need to second guess ourselves.

We do too much of that.

We become accustomed to thinking of ourselves one way (and think we are God’s gift to the world on that front) and second guess ourselves in all other areas of life.

This is nonsense.

When I came to America, I had a hard time finding work in advertising. I had to reinvent myself as a Commissions Analyst.

If I had second guessed myself, I might have said, “not me, no-no-no – I don’t know anything about numbers.  I can’t do that.”

Well, I did.

This Commissions Analyst has spent more than a decade dealing with just numbers - hundreds and hundreds of them - on humongous Excel spreadsheets. Recently I upped the ante and became an Xactly and Varicent SPM Consultant.

What if events had happened the other way around?

It’s easy to see Minoo, the Commissions Analyst, going “Copywriting? Not me, no-no-no - don’t know anything about words.  I can’t do that.”

Yes?

So don’t get boxed by the idea of who you are.

Take inspiration from Ajay Sachdev, a guest poster on my blog.

His first career was in advertising client servicing, his second career in stockbroking.

Ajay enjoys writing.  He has never said to himself, “I am a stock-broker - I cannot write”. Ajay has written several posts on my blog. Besides the one on advertising - which is so popular - there’s one on cricket; there’s his post on P G Wodehouse; and there’s his classic Oh Bangalore series, soon to become available as a Kindle book. There's an American Express line, "Don't leave home without it.".  Once Ajay's Oh Bangalore is available on Kindle, an appropriate line would be: "Don't get on a plane to Bangalore without it."

Back to the idea of you starting a blog - you can also take heart from the fact that so many people are blogging already. Just look at the stats:

Tumblr.com  - 101.7 Million blogs– and counting


WordPress.com - 63 Million blogs – and counting


Livejournal - 62.6 million blogs and counting

There is a new blog launched every half a second.

All these new bloggers have taken, or are getting ready to take, the risk you are afraid of.

We make the mistake of thinking if we want to do something new – take up painting, or learn an instrument – we should do so only for the eyes and ears of those closest to us –they would be the only ones who would be appreciative of us.

What if I told you, you are just as likely to be appreciated by someone out in the blogosphere who doesn’t know you at all? Or knows you very little? It’s possible you may even find more appreciation from people who don’t know you. And who don’t have a fixed idea of you.

People close to us are sometimes not able to separate the person from the words. Their past experience of us from what we are saying.

I know for a fact, my friend Cindy’s poems have gone unread by her children. 

And yet, some of these same poems, which are published on my blog, have resonated with strangers who have come across them on my blog, or through pins on Pinterest.  This poem from the post How To Say Goodbye Part 2 has been repinned on Pinterest several times:

UNTIL I’M HOME
By Cindy Pinkston            

I got up with the sun this morning
Turned in my key and packed my bags.
My clothes are tear stained,
And the heels of my shoes are worn down.
My book of wisdom is dog eared
And the pages of my journal cry out
From the weight of black and white silence.

I plan to travel light, to bring only
The things my soul requires:
The currency of hard-earned self-respect,
Sturdy garments spun of sacrifice,
Oils fragrant with the balm of forgiveness.
I will follow my heart’s inclination
It whispers to me now, calling me

I will journey on from here, taking
Note of each bend in the road
Until I know that I am home.

Cindy’s Note: UNTIL I’M HOME was written as “a goodbye to a home and marriage of 16 years”

So write because someone out there in the world may relate to, or be helped and encouraged by what you say.

And write for the time when you won’t be there, and people close to you will be longing to hear your voice in any form.

My mother is more alive to me in her poems than in her pictures. Here’s one of Mum’s poems, in which I can still hear her voice:

Ode to Nat King Cole

O singer with the deep soul-searing voice
From where hast thou this warm sensitivity
This timbre like the subterranean depths
Of crusted earth and green aqueous sea.
The poet sets but words to verse,
The writer ventilates his inner self.
But thou combinest both these graceful arts
And transmits beauty to the hearer’s soul.
Thy songs of love or melancholic mood
Are rendered with passionate appeal,
That all who list must feel if but awhile
The message of the magic symphony.

And here am I, a busy shopping wife
In multi-façade market of the world;
In quest of ribbons, ducks, and Easter eggs;
And lost complete in dull domestic whirl.

But juke-box throb has reached my inner ear,
Your voice has pierced my mundane lingering,
I hurry to the ice-cream bar to catch
At closer range your magic voice
Enrapture, charmed, I drift along,
I’m lost to all the busy market whirl
And buried in the cadence of your song.

Write for the future generations (especially in your family) who will come after you and may never get the chance to meet you.

Let them meet you in print.

Regards how you should write, there’s no need to be self-conscious.

You don’t need to try to come off as anything….

As clever.

Or wise.

Or smooth.

Or humorous.

Just write.

Here are some ideas to get you started:

  • My College Days (I love reading about college days because umm...I can only experience them vicariously....read here)
  • Book Club Adventures
  • Adventures in Match Making
  • Marriage Encounters (The Lighter Side of Marriage)
  • Thoughts on xxxxx (any topic you would like to share your views on)
  • Hopes for the Future of the World
  • What I love about…….(one of the people in your life – a sibling, a child, a grandchild, a hero)
  • On Being a Father/Grandfather

Think of whatever you write as a love letter to those you love.

The book written by my cousin Annette for her dad, on what would have been his 100th birth anniversary, is an example. 

Remember, all messages will be appreciated in time.

Just like wine, thoughts and ideas needs to age.

I look forward to seeing your first words in print.

P.S. This post was inspired by a comment made by Subhakar.  Thanks, Subhakar for inspiring this post.  Now get writing. That's an order.

P.S. 2: Readers, as always, thanks for reading and have a great day and week…..Minoo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brilliant and very insightful, Minoo. Keep up the good work!