Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How To Say Goodbye – Part 2

 

In the poems below, Cindy says goodbye to a marriage of 16 years, to a co-worker, and to her youth.


UNTIL I’M HOME
by Cindy Pinkston            

I got up with the sun this morning
Turned in my key and packed my bags.
My clothes are tear stained,
And the heels of my shoes are worn down.
My book of wisdom is dog eared
And the pages of my journal cry out
From the weight of black and white silence.

I plan to travel light, to bring only
The things my soul requires:
The currency of hard-earned self-respect,
Sturdy garments spun of sacrifice,
Oils fragrant with the balm of forgiveness.
I will follow my heart’s inclination
It whispers to me now, calling me

I will journey on from here, taking
Note of each bend in the road
Until I know I am home.


JULIENNE
by Cindy Pinkston

I coveted your poise
The graceful way you walked.
I dressed well, but you dressed better.
In cream colored suits with silk scarves.

I bubbled over
With too many words,
You measured yours flawlessly.
Once we passed in the hall alone
And your smile was unguarded.

I heard that you had cancer,
That you were staying with your mother.
You were young and pretty,
And you curled your deep brown hair every morning
I could tell by the split ends.

You weren’t my supervisor,
Or my friend, or even someone I knew.
Still I felt such an emptiness
When I heard you were gone.


SUMMERTIME: WAITING IN LINE FOR THE ROLLER COASTER
For Bryan
by Cindy Pinkston

We are the loudest in line,
Extinguishing conversations with less fire,
Stand-up vs. Stand-up
And you are funnier,
Daring me to tell forgotten stories
While I search my pockets
For the girl I can’t find.
Laughter is the sweetest pretender,
Calling me to forget that middle age
Is my certain destination.
With sleight of hand,
I will leave his place seventeen again.


P.S. Thanks Cindy, for sharing these very personal goodbyes. Friendship is all about sharing what's in your heart and you have never been afraid to do that.

P.S. 2: Readers, if you missed How to Say Goodbye Part 1, you can link to it here. It contains poems by Tanita and links to tributes to Steve Jobs.

P.S. 3:  If you like to laugh, I promise you won’t want to miss How To Say Goodbye – Part 3 – which is about funny goodbyes and contains one really funny, laugh-out-loud goodbye. I promise you! Coming this Saturday!

P.S. 4:  Cindy has been a previous guest poster to my blog with Cindy’s Corner, Letters to Lucas and Medley.

No comments: