Saturday, November 26, 2011

How To Say Goodbye

Everyone has their own way. It’s part of our uniqueness.

Say It With Flowers, a Tribute In Writing, or a Speech

When Steve Jobs died, my friend Lakshmi drove to his Palo Alto residence and laid flowers in front of it.
Taken with an iphone by Lakshmi outside Steve's residence

My way of saying goodbye was my post Steve Jobs: A Personal Tribute

For Mona Simpson, Steve's biological sister, it was with the memorial speech she delivered at Stanford, which contained these moving lines.....”Even as a feminist, my whole life I’d been waiting for a man to love, who could love me. For decades, I’d thought that man would be my father. When I was 25, I met that man and he was my brother.

The Goodbyes of a Child

The uniqueness with which we say goodbye, starts when we are young.

Here is how a 12 year old Tanita expressed her feelings when her friends Kayla and Missy moved out of our apartment complex...

Goodbye
By Tanita Jha          

Stupid fights
crazy nights
now it’s all gone.

Prankcalling
Eavesdropping
All night long.

Being ourselves
nobody could tell
but we knew it all along.

Then the day came.
The moving truck pulled up
and we said our goodbyes.

A tear streamed down my face
remembering
all the good times.

Now it’s all a memory
but it will always be a
part of me.

There is still one thing to say
Goodbye,
I will think about you every day.

And this is what Tanita wrote when her grandma passed away in 2005. She was 10 at the time...

Grandma
By Tanita Jha

Mom was not there to pick me up
After Girl Scout camp
I was wondering where she was
So I decided to take a chance

When she came to pick me up
My uncle was there.
I jumped into the car,
and asked him  why he was here

He said my grandma was in heaven,
she died three hours ago
I cried and cried and thought,
What a wonderful person she was

One thing’s true…
I will always love her.

How Do You Say Goodbye?

Curious to find out how others said goodbye, I asked my ever eloquent, ever articulate neighbor, Cindy. 

She reached into her grab-bag of poems and came up with 3 answers (Poetry, it appears, is specially suited to goodbyes!)

Since all 3 poems were fabulous and worth sharing, I said,"hmm,why not consider another post on goodbyes"

So folks, that's the plan.

On Wednesday, How To Say Goodbye – Part 2 will feature Cindy's 3 poems where you will learn more ways to say goodbye. Until then...


P.S.  Cindy previously contributed Cindy’s Corner, Letters to Lucas and Medley to my blog (Medley, I'm told, should have been Melody, but I took the title over the phone and messed up - sorry about that,Cindy!).

No comments: