Sunday, May 5, 2019

What’s the most embarrassing thing your boss made you do?

In my very first copywriting job, my boss would have us go to the airport and request a passenger to carry a package of printed material to another city.
It was harrowing.
Once I went from passenger to passenger and they kept saying no.
I approached a group of people who were standing together and started off my spiel….I am from so and so company and we have an urgent need to get this printed material to Delhi this evening itself.”
He looked at me and said, “I am not the passenger. He is” and he nodded in the direction of a foreigner (the only white male in the group).
So I started off my spiel again and he put up his hand, and said “Sorry….there may be a bomb in it” and everyone in the group laughed at his joke.
I started to tell him I could open the package, but he shook his head.
My eyes filled with tears, I turned away.
A traveler who had observed what had happened looked at me.
I walked towards him.
Before I could say anything, he said, “I will take it”.
I gave it to him, ran out of the airport and cried the whole way back in the car.
P.S. This is Post 2 in the Boss series. The first was What's The Nicest Thing A Boss Has Ever Done For You?

No comments: